Singapore Flying Boat
Short Singapore flying Boat was in Service with 205 Squadron at RAF
Seletar ( Singapore ) from April 1935 until January 1941
230 Squadron from November 1936 until June 1938.
The Singapore III was developed
as a resort of several prototypes developed by shorts and was the
first large, all mental, Flying boat. It was a byplane with
different sized wings. The span of the largest being 90ft. The
overal length of the aircraft was 76ft. Powered by four Rolls-Royce
Kestrel VIII 12-cylinder inline engines which produced 560hp each
which were mounted between the wings in two tandem push-pull pairs.
The crew of 6 was located in a central cabin and there were fore,
aft and midships open gun positions using the Vickers machine gun or
a Lewis gun.
205 squadron was equipped with
six Singapores and on outbreak of war these flew patrols over the
approaches to Singapore and the Indian ocean, using bases in Ceylon
and the Nicobar Islands as out-stations. In April 1941 when 205Sdn
received its first Catalina some of the remaining Singapores were
tranferd to RNZAF and by October the last Singapore had been flown
away by for service in Fiji.
Opening of Kallang Airport 12
The four airborne craft are
Short Singapore Flying Boats from RAF Seletar